If you have a standing desk, it is almost guaranteed that you will have to reset it at some point. There may be times where you think your control box or motor(s) are broken, when really your desk just needs to be reset. Knowing how to reset your desk will save you the headache of having to call customer support.
Need help? Get our Free Electric Standing Desk Buying Guide!
Full Disclaimer: We are an office furniture dealer and sell some of the products we review. To learn more about the products we sell, our review process and why you can trust us, please visit: Why we’re different. Who is BTOD.com and The Breakroom Blog?
How To Reset Your Desk Video
Why is My Standing Desk Only Moving Down?
If you notice that your desk is only moving down slowly, there is usually one main cause. If at any point your desk lost power, or became unplugged, your desk will only move down. But why? When your desk loses power, it also loses its memory. That means, your desk no longer knows what position it is in. The only way for your desk to know its positioning is by finding a reference point. For standing desks, your reference point is going to be your desk’s lowest position. Once your desk reaches the lowest position, your desk will be reset and should be back to normal.
How to Reset Your Desk
If you have lost power to your desk, and it is only going down, your desk is going to need to be reset. By following these few steps, your desk will be back to running as usual.
- For safety reasons, be sure to remove anything that is below your desk, especially if you had any container stop settings. These settings will have been lost when your desk lost its power.
- Unplug your desk from the outlet and wait 30 seconds.
- Then plug your desk back in. You should hear a few clicks.
- Press and hold the down button of your desk until the desk reaches its lowest point. (*Note: Your desk will move slowly as part of a safety precaution. Your desk has lost its memory and no longer remembers which position it is at.)
- Once your desk reaches the lowest point, you may take your finger off of the button.
- Next, press and hold down the down arrow again for about 10 seconds. (You may notice the desk will shutter a little with a few clicks.)
- Your table may move up just slightly, signaling your desk has been reset.
Still Having Issues With Your Standing Desk?
If your desk is still having any issues after the reset, be sure to reach out to the brand’s customer service for additional troubleshooting tips.
More Standing Desk Problem Resources
- 12 Reasons To Avoid Cheap Electric Standing Desks Under $400
- How Much Does An Electric Standing Desk Cost?
- 5 Most Common Problems With Standing Only Desks
- 4 Reasons Standing Only Desks Are Bad For Your Health
- 9 Most Common Problems With Motorized Standing Desks
- Top 6 Reasons Why Standing Desks Wobble